Monday, June 15, 2009

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

You know when you read something or hear something or watch something that makes you feel so much you wonder how your life made sense before that moment?
Well that is how i feel about this bookI thought i made up what i just wrote but i guess i subconsciously stole it from Mark Oliver Everett:
'Life is so full of unpredictable beauty and strange surprises. Sometimes the beauty is too much for me to handle. Do you know that feeling? when something is just too beautiful? When someone says something or writes something or plays something that moves you to the point of tears, maybe even changes you.'
So anyway this book is amazing it just makes so much sense, F.Scott Fitzgerald once wrote that this is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.
I know all i've been doing is recycling other peoples words in this post, but when i read a book like this i know exactly what he means.

My favourite part so far in The Perks of Being a Wallflower is when Charlie is talking about how in old photographs your parents always look very rugged and young and always seem a lot happier than you are.

"I look at the field, and I think about the boy who just made the touchdown. I think that these are the glory days for that boy, and this moment will just be another story someday because all the people who make touchdowns and home runs will become somebody's dad. And when his children look at his yearbook photograph, they will think that their dad was rugged and handsome and looked a lot happier than they are. I just hope I remember to tell my kids that they are as happy as I look in my old photographs.And I hope that they believe me."

No comments:

Post a Comment