Monday, July 6, 2009

Erythromycin + empty stomach = nausea

So I've been feeling really sick today, probably due to the little combination I mentioned in the title. My tooth is somewhat less disgusting today but hurts a lot more than it has been, pretty sure it's unsalvageable (is that a word?) and the dentist will have to pull it. It's throbbing at the moment like some sort of massive poisonous sting or splinter that needs to be removed from my head. Now. Despite the whole tooth episode I had a pretty good weekend, got to see some friends I haven't caught up with in ages, watched Dig twice, watched all of Degrassi season 2 & read 'An Abundance of Katherines' by John Green (not the one from the humiliating bookstore story, that was 'Paper Towns.')

The book was good, not awesome, but 'Looking for Alaska' the main one by Green that I wanted to read wasn't in anywhere, so hopefully I'm saving the best for last. An Abundance of Katherines did have some really awesome themes though. The main character Colin is a washed-up child prodigy who has just graduated, has a penchant for anagramming and only dates girls named Katherine. He kinda feels like his life is a waste because he's 17 and not a genius yet; he's so wrapped up in trying to create something that will be remembered that he kinda forgets just to live. So when Katherine #19 breaks up with him, his best friend Hassan takes him on a road trip and they end up in this little run-down country town where they work for a while & make friends with the locals. In the end Colin has a 'Eureka' moment which isn't a theorem that will win him a Nobel prize, but is the fact that the future is infinite and unknowable and beautiful, and no amount of fame or genius can be remembered forever.
he also fall in love with a girl who is not named Katherine.

Here's some quotes from the novel that really stood out to me:

'He missed that, too, and it hadn't even happened. He missed his imagined future. You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.'

'I was thinking about your mattering business. I feel like, like, how you matter is defined by the things that matter to you. You matter as much as the things that matter to you do. And I got so backwards, trying to make myself matter to him. All this time there were real things to care about: real, good people who care about me, and this place. It's so easy to get stuck. You just get caught in being something, being special or cool or whatever, to the point where you don't even know why you need it; you just think you do.'

'I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost...I don't think your missing pieces ever fit inside you again once they go missing.'

'Colin's skin was alive with with the feeling of connection to everyone in that car and everyone not in it. And he was feeling not-unique in the very best possible way.'

No comments:

Post a Comment